Thursday, July 27, 2006

WHAT IS COMMUNITY?

If you happen to be working in social service industry in Canada or USA you have probably heard the word "community" mentioned in countless policy dossiers and memos than any other words,not even Osama or Bush. Of course if you instead watch too much television your experiences could somewhat be different.Just as how Osama and Bush are tv magic words,I think,in my opinion, community is a magic word for policy makers and politicians.

Building stronger communities, conducting community based researches,understanding the needs of our communities, local communities etc etc etc, are just few examples of how the words are used to reflect,in pretence,your needs and my needs.

But what does community mean to you? Who do you consider someone from your community? What does community mean to you? Does community mean color of your skin,country of origin, location or what exactly does it mean? Is my next door neighbor, the one who I do not even know his/her name or any business about him part of the so called "my community"? What is then eg "black community"?

What does community means to you?Please tell me

1 comment:

The Intolerant One said...

I love the new look. It is fantastic!